It’s June 1st (already?!), so that means it’s time for my monthly look at the bestselling camera & photography items as calculated by sales ranking at Amazon.com.
- Canon PowerShot D10 Waterproof Digital Camera – as summer begins, folks start heading out in boats, hanging out on the beach, and playing in swimming pools and a compact waterproof camera is a great way to capture those memories and make some interesting images. The PowerShot D10 is waterpoof to 33 feet and provides some great features including face detection, all in a nice cute blue and silver package. Looks like a great deal at under $250.
- GoPro HD HERO2: Motorsports Edition – GoPro’s compact HD video cameras are a big hit, and rightly so. They pack a lot of video (and still) power into a tiny package that can easily be worn or mounted in any number of ways. This particular one is the motorsports pacakge which features a suction cup arm mount. I’ve previously written about my GoPro dogsledding story.
- Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS Digital Camera – Canon’s ELPH series of cameras is known for providing a good set of features in a compact package designed for the mass market consumer audience. This model, around $170 as of the time of writing, is in the middle of rhat range, offering a good zoom range and 1080p video.
- Nikon D5100 CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens – the D5100 is one step above Nikon’s entry-level DSLR, offering a nice feature set in a package that comes with a lens for about $650. This camera is positioned in an interesting place as it has a few nicer features than the entry-level 3000-series cameras, but it’s definitely lacking in several areas (such as image quality and autofocus system) when compared with its big brother the D7000 (which has a special $100-off deal for the month of June).
- GoPro HD HERO2: Outdoor Edition – The same camera as the GoPro unit mentioned above; this one comes with some different mounting options.
- Canon SX40 HS Digital Camera with 35x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom – The superzoom form factor is a popular one. It’s not a DSLR, but it starts to approach the DSLR size factor. My wife once had a similar unit and it performed very well. The big advantage to this type of a camera is the extreme zoom capability of the lens. The SX40 has been on the bestseller list pretty consistently for several months – folks seem to like it.
- Canon PowerShot ELPH 100 HS Digital Camera – this is a low end compact camera (just over $100) but it can make some decent images under good lighting conditions. It’s not for the professional or serious hobbyist, but for a cheap camera it’s pretty good.
- Canon PowerShot S100 Digital Camera – Canon offers two high-end compact cameras; the S100 is the smaller of the bunch. A better-than-typical image sensor in this unit allows for excellent images even in low-light situations, and the small size means that the camera fits easily into a pocket. I have a previous model in this series (the S90), it’s a solid camera that allows for quality photos.
- Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Digital Camera – the SX150 is quite affordable (about $150) but still offers a decent sized image with a 12x zoom.
- Panasonic DMC-FH25K Digital Camera – This looks like a good little compact camera at quite an affordable price (around $160 at the time this article is written). Panasonic isn’t mentioned as often as Canon and Nikon, but they have some good compact cameras and this one is rated very well. It’s interesting that this camera has jumped in price about $30 since last month’s bestseller roundup.
If you use the links above and end up purchasing through Amazon, a small commission will be returned to me that helps fund the operation of this site. Thanks for your support!