It’s March first, so it’s time for my monthly look at the bestselling camera & photography items as calculated by Amazon.com.
This month’s list features a couple new items (including one that’s quite cheap), a couple great DSLRs, some video gear, and more. I feel like we’re in a bit of a holding pattern as we should see some new products arriving on the market soon.
- Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS Digital Camera – Jumping up to the top spot this month, this camera is part of Canon’s ELPH series of compact digital cameras has been around for several years. This particular model has been on the bestseller list for a few months. Aimed at the mid- to lower range of point-and-shoot customers, this is a solid unit in the $180 price range (the price actually jumped a bit).
- GoPro HD HERO2: Outdoor Edition – Another product jumping up the bestseller list, the GoPro units have become quite popular in the last few months. I recently had a chat with TED Photographer Duncan Davidson and I know he had some interesting plans for a GoPro camera. This model offers not just an easy way to record interesting video, but it will do so in a durable, waterproof way.
- Panasonic DMC-FH25K Digital Camera – Pansonic’s point and shoot cameras are quite solid. While Canon and Nikon are the big players with the big cameras, in the point and shoot market Panasonic produces some great units. This one is on the lower end of the scale (quite affordable around $125) but it will produce a good image in decent lighting conditions.
- GoPro HD HERO2: Motorsports Edition – the same camera unit as the number two item, except the Motorsports package means that it comes with a different mounting arrangement (in this case, an arm).
- Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital SLR with 18-55mm IS II Lens – Canon’s Digital Rebel series has long been a mainstay in the entry-level DSLR market, and this package of the T3 combined with the 18-55 kit lens is a great deal at less than $500. While it’s an entry level camera, it supports a wide range of controls that make it ideal for someone learning photography – they can start out in the more automatic modes and then move into more manual controls as they learn to better control their imagery. Highly recommended for someone wanting to jump to their first DSLR.
- Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikkor Zoom Lens – If you’d rather go Nikon than Canon, you’ll be pleased to see their entry level DSLR is here on the bestseller list as well. The D3100 is a good camera. The only downside in my mind is that the body doesn’t have an autofocus motor. As long as you use Nikon’s AF-S lenses that include an autofocus motor, you’re fine, but some older/cheaper lenses don’t and that will limit you to manual focus. Don’t let that limitation stop you from purchasing this camera, but if that sounds like a concern for you it might be worth spending the extra money for the Nikon D7000 – in addition to an in-body focus mother you’ll get a bunch of additional benefits as well although you’re in a different price bracket.
- Nikon COOLPIX AW100 Waterproof Digital Camera – If you create photographs outdoors, near the beach, on the ski slopes, or anywhere else where moisture is a concern, this is a great deal on a waterproof compact camera. The bright orange case makes it easier to find as well.
- Carson MM-200 Carson Micromax LED 60X-100X LED Lighted Pocket Microscope – and now for something different. Apparently the lens means this falls into the “Camera & Photo” category. It’s a win as the most affordable item on the list – around $11.
- Panasonic HDC-SD80K HD SD Card Camcorder – offering video in a bit more of a traditional package than the GoPro units above, this Panasonic camcorder features a great zoom range and image stabilization technology for under $200.
- Canon PowerShot S100 Digital Camera – Canon offers two high-end compact cameras; the S100 is the smaller of the bunch. A better-than-typical image sensor in this unit allows for excellent images even in low-light situations, and the samll size means that the camera fits easily into a jeans (or jacket) pocket. I have a previous model in this series, it’s a solid camera that allows for quality photos.
If you use the links above and end up purchasing through Amazon, a small commission will be returned to me that helps fund the operation of this site. Thanks for your support!