As we’re into the beginning of 2012, it’s time for my monthly look at the bestselling camera & photography items as calculated by the folks over at Amazon.com.
The January list is always interesting to me since the bestsellers reflect those items that were purchased during the December holiday shopping rush. We see that Canon had several popular cameras this year while Nikon has dropped off the list entirely this month.
- Canon PowerShot SX230HS Digital Camera – Making a big jump up to the top of this month’s list, I’m impressed by the 14x optical zoom in a camera at this size and with this price. A popular holiday seller, Amazon has a great price on this camera which makes it an especially great deal on a camera that will provide decent images and fit into a purse or pocket.
- Canon EOS Rebel T3 Digital SLR with 18-55mm IS II Lens – Canon’s Digital Rebel series are a solid line of cameras aimed at those wanting to make an entrance into the DSLR world. The T3 is one generation previous to the current model (the T3i) but it’s an amzing camera for a killer price (less than $450). If you’re wanting a DSLR but on a super-tight budget, grab this.
- Panasonic DMC-ZS9 Digital Camera with 16x Optical Zoom – Panasonic offers some great pocket cameras, the ZS9 packs a big optical zoom in a unit with a great price point. I can see why this unit sold well over the past month; I suspect it was in the stocking of quite a few folks.
- Canon EOS Rebel T3i Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens – This current-generation Canon Digital Rebel DSLR provides an incredible amount of both photo and video features at a very reasonable price. I can definitely recommend the T3i kit for someone wanting to get into photography in a serious way. Compared to the T3 above, the T3i offers a tiltable screen, 1080p HD video (compared with 720p), and the ability to use the built-in flash to remotely control off-camera flash units.
- Canon PowerShot S100 Digital Camera – Canon offers two high-end compact cameras; the S100 is the smaller of the bunch. A better-than-typical image sensor in this unit allows for excellent images even in low-light situations, and the samll size means that the camera fits easily into a jeans (or jacket) pocket. I have a previous model in this series, it’s a solid camera that allows for quality photos.
- Canon PowerShot S95 Digital Camera – The immediate predecessor to the S100, Canon’s S95 is one of the most popular compact cameras amongst professional photographers. This unit currently sells for about $100 less than it’s replacement and is a good value for the price.
- Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS Digital Camera – Canon’s ELPH series of compact digital cameras has been around for several years and this one has been on the bestseller list for a few months now. Aimed at the mid- to lower range of point-and-shoot customers, this is a solid unit in the $150 price range.
- Canon PowerShot ELPH 100 HS Digital Camera – For a little bit less money than the ELPH 300, the ELPH 100 has a bit less zoom and a slightly less wide angle lens. The other noticeable difference is that the ELPH 300 has more buttons whereas the ELPH 100 will require more use of the onscreen menus. If you’re willing to live with a bit less ease of use, the ELPH 100 will save a few dollars.
- Foscam FI8918W Wireless/Wired Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with 8 Meter Night Vision and 3.6mm Lens – It’s been interesting to see networkable cameras start to show on the camera/photo bestseller lists; this looks like a decent unit at a good price.
- Canon Powershot A2200 Digital Camera – Have a super-limited budget? Get this Canon Powershot camera for under $80. It won’t be idea for low light situations but it’s a good compact camera for the price and will produce usable images in decent lighting conditions.
If you use the links above and end up purchasing through Amazon, a small commission will be returned to me that helps fund the operation of this site. Thanks for your support!