As we’re now into February, it’s time for my monthly look at the bestselling camera & photography items as calculated by the folks over at Amazon.com.
Today’s look at bestsellers includes a few old standbys as well as some new entrants to the list. There are a couple of great lenses and SLR bodies, some good compacts, and a couple off-the-wall products that are doing well.
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens – Dubbed the “plastic fantastic” based on its build and results, it doesn’t surprise me to see this at the top of the list in the month after Christmas. When folks are looking to buy something beyond the kit lens, I often recommend a 50mm prime lens since this will give good results in low light and force the photographer to think about composition. Highly recommended for Canon shooters.
- Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS Digital Camera – Jumping up the list a bit is this unit, part of Canon’s ELPH series of compact digital cameras has been around for several years. This particular model has been on the bestseller list for a few months. Aimed at the mid- to lower range of point-and-shoot customers, this is a solid unit in the $150 price range.
- Canon EOS Rebel T2i Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens – each month we usually see a good starter DSLR kit in the $500-600 range, and this month it’s the Canon T2i occupying the top slot. Canon’s Digital Rebel series are a great deal for good quality units. If you’re looking to get started, this would be a good kit for a great price.
- Fujifilm X-Pro 1 16MP Digital Camera – this one’s a bit of a surprise, but apparently preorders for Fuji’s new compact APS-C camera are going crazy.
- GoPro HD HERO2: Outdoor Edition – a couple years ago, Flip cameras were the hotness. They’ve been replaced by the GoPro units, offering an easy way to record interesting video, this time in a wearable, waterproof package. Very cool.
- Canon EOS Rebel T3i Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens – This current-generation Canon Digital Rebel DSLR provides an incredible amount of both photo and video features at a very reasonable price. I can definitely recommend the T3i kit for someone wanting to get into photography in a serious way. The T3i offers Canon’s latest features in an entry level model.
- Macro Ring Flash LED Light – I haven’t used this personally but the price is right on this ring light which will work on popular lenses and cameras. It’s something new to the bestseller list and I’m considering getting one – for around $30 I’m not sure I could go wrong.
- Vista Explorer 60-Inch Lightweight Tripod with Tripod Bag – Sorry, although this is on the bestseller list I really can’t recommend a $30 tripod. It’s not going to be very stable and you risk damaging your gear if it fails.
- Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens – at the top of the list we saw Canon’s 50mm, here we see Nikon’s 35mm lens. Put this onto a crop-sensor body such as the D7000, D5100, or D3100 and you have roughly the same field of view as a 50mm lens on a full frame camera. If you were thinking about the 50 and you’re a Nikon shooter, look at this sub-$200 lens as a good option.
- Wild Game Innovations Digital Scouting Camera (Camo) – this might be the first camoflauge item since I’ve started tracking bestsellers. It’s a scouting camera designed for game or security use. There’s an interesting video on the site if you click through. Not the normal fare that I review, but it’s kind of neat.
If you use the links above and end up purchasing through Amazon, a small commission will be returned to me that helps fund the operation of this site. Thanks for your support!